Digital Marketing Vs Digital Advertising
Time has passed so quickly, that we did not realize at what point Digital Marketing was born.
The online landscape is constantly changing, as new platforms, types of ads and ways of segmentation are appearing all the time, thanks to the advances in technology since the world knew about the Internet.
Therefore, every day is about learning, transformation and knowledge; expanding the market globally, and being within reach of a click is not an easy task, but within those standards this term appeared, so that companies can reach places they never imagined; offer their products / services and build customer loyalty.
Is Digital Marketing the same as Digital Advertising?
Yes, they are related, but the way they are used makes the difference:
When Digital Advertising uses the internet to advertise its products/services/businesses or brands it becomes in Digital Marketing.
- Digital advertising is a part of digital marketing.
- Digital marketing starts after choosing the name of the company.
- Digital marketing is a process and digital advertising is an activity.
What is Digital Marketing?
It is being able to apply the strategies that have become important, within the digital media environment (social networks, search engines, email, SMS, instant messaging) so that they serve as a platform for interaction, marketing, immediacy and positioning of a brand.
Today there are several channels, offers and competition for the acquisition of a product or service, and although it is much easier for the buyer, it becomes a challenge for the seller, because they must know how to use these new tools (Digital Marketing) correctly and reach the target audience interested in their brand.
Digital marketing is simplified into several activities concerning the creation, communication, delivery and/or exchange of offers for each client or partner in a company. Then, the difference lies in that any strategy that positions the right product / service, through the use of the Internet, is instantly transformed into Digital Marketing.
What are the types of Digital Marketing?
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Content marketing
- Email Marketing
- Online Advertising
- Online Public Relations
“Business can survive without advertising, but not without Digital Marketing”
What are digital campaigns?
When an image or video has caught our attention as consumers there is a whole team behind that ad that planned to finally awaken our interest that is going to become a purchase later on.
As potential buyers we see this process from one perspective, but those have a structure that tries to convince us through digital campaigns spread out through social networks or through different channels as mentioned before, looking not only to make a sale but to provide users with valuable content as future consumers.
Types of Digital Ads:
- Contextual Ads
- Relevant Ads
- Addressed Ads
- Useful Ads
The importance of Digital Marketing in a business:
It is indispensable for its growth. Without a commercial strategy there is no business that can give results, much less in this moment where everything is reduced to being “online”.
What is a Marketing Strategy for a Business?
It is the method in which a business should be managed and given direct coverage, for example:
- Marketing Approach
- How they business defines the target audience
- Means to attract leads
- How to convert leads into clients
- Objectives and goals desired
Stages of a strategy in Digital Marketing
- Defining the target audience and developing buyers.
- Identify goals and objectives.
- Evaluate digital marketing channels (SEO, content marketing, PPC, social media)
- Audit existing channels and acquire new ones.
- Analyze and follow up.
- Running the business on the Internet.
“A company without digital marketing will find it difficult to prosper”
It is about spreading information or ideas that have a specific purpose, in any field. (Example: Ad)
They focus on visualization. In this way, online ads promote products/services and businesses, in order to create an awareness in customers to consume.
Types of Digital Ads:
- Pay Per Click Search Ads, also known as PPC (Google Ads in Search, Bing Ads)
- Graphic ads (banner, static, video, mobile, pop-up, etc.)
- Social Ads (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.)
- Programmatic Ads (Display network from DSPs)
The importance of advertising in a business
Advertising can be promoted in any medium that is effective in attracting potential customers.
Should a business be online?
Technically the word online, is related to the world of computers and is associated with everything that has to do with the Internet. The word is made up of inter (between) and net (electronic network).
For an online business to be successful, it must have a digital presence coupled with a marketing strategy, which will allow:
- Increase sales of products or services
- Favorable brand image
- Business Visibility
- Customer Loyalty
How do I advertise online?
There are two ways to advertise online:
- Organic marketing: Blogs, social media, email marketing and content offers.
- Paid Advertising: Search engines, programmatic ads and social media.
Each of these forms is effective, but the “effectiveness” and timing may vary.
- With paid advertising: Invest money in advertising, to reach more customers who may be interested in product/service according to data segmented by social networks.
- And in Organic advertising: Provide valuable content or generate a call to action (CTA) so that the public (without segmentation) identifies itself with a post, follows the brand and at some point, is interested in acquiring its services or products.
What is the difference between Digital Marketing and Online Marketing?
“Online” and “digital” are different terms and understanding when to use them will be necessary to form the right marketing strategy.
Refers only to the use of digital channels, devices and platforms to promote a message and is also known as “Internet Marketing” as it is defined as a subset.
It requires an internet connection to work and to make the respective reach. But it also requires all the digital marketing strategies:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- PPC (Google search, Bing search, etc.)
- Display advertising (text, image, video, shopping ads, YouTube)
- Social Media Marketing (Facebook, LinkedIn)
- TV (Google Display Network)
Both have evolved thanks to technology. But the second improves over time, as it becomes a challenge to live up to every term that comes along.
What is Social Media and what is it used for?
There are specialists in Marketing and also in Social Media, who are dedicated to building communities and “agglomerate” a group of people with the same interest, so that the dissemination of content is faster and more useful, since it can be exploited by a larger audience.
For these experts the search in their channels is optimized and they can take care of other issues such as traffic and conversion. On the other hand, advertisers are much more interested in statistics, the way they can measure if something works or not and in what time they achieve it (short, medium, long).
What are the keys to improving my outreach and benefiting from these tools?
There are several ways, but only three will improve the performance of efforts to obtain real benefits:
Increased brand awareness:
By showing your own content to people inside and outside the networks.
- A better understanding of audiences: By knowing the analysis to be given to each platform and each ad.
- The creation of higher performance content: To understand which advertising content works in achieving business objectives and which does not.
- Every strategy aims to receive positive feedback from the target audience, especially if it involves an investment (guideline).
Types of online advertising:
Now that we know more about how to advertise online, let’s go deeper into the different types of online advertising that exist:
- Advertising on Social Networks.
- Variety of Formats.
- Generating potential customers.
- Generate immediate sales.
- Make the business grow.
Social media / advertising:
From the most popular to the most recent, social networks are undoubtedly powerful tools that will allow any brand (product/service) to achieve its goals.
Today it is the first social network and one of the most used worldwide, it guarantees to instantly reach any kind of audience that is interested in any kind of business. Its added value lies in segmentation, and in audiences:
- Main audiences: An audience based on age, interests and geography.
- Personalized audiences: Contacting people who are, have been or may be interested in the business.
- Similar audiences: Reaching new people from existing audiences or databases.
- Types of Facebook advertising.
- Ads with images.
- Video ads.
- Story ads.
- Potential customer ads.
For the public in general it is not a social media network on the side, but Facebook says it is, and if you play close attention at the location of Ads, you will see that you can differentiate Faceboom from Faceboom messenger. Ads also play an important role in starting conversations on Facebook Messenger. Types of advertisements in Facebook Messenger:
- Call to Action (CTA): Facebook Messenger call to action in ads.
- Facebook Messenger Story Ads.
- Facebook Messenger ads.
- Sponsored Messages.
Advertising opportunities on Instagram:
- Promote posts and stories directly from a professional account
- Create ads from your Facebook page and promote them on Facebook and Instagram.
- Create ad campaigns in Facebook Ad Manager to access full targeting capabilities.
Types of advertisements on Instagram:
- Ads with photos.
- Video ads.
- Story ads.
- Ads in Explore.
- Shopping Post ads.
It has a unique orientation that is not available in other platforms, as it can address users by unique demographics; including job title, job function and industry.
In addition, with the option to include lead generation forms, it will allow you to not only reach a very specific audience, but also generate leads without directing them outside the platform.
Types of advertising on LinkedIn:
- Send specific messages with a single call to action, since each ad comes with a form or with the option to send a message to capture potential customers and provoke an instant reaction from them.
- Generate stronger engagement and response than traditional emails.
- Measure the impact of messages.
The ease that social media allows, could also be taken as “spam” by the users, so you should not exceed the actions it permits and thus avoid that future clients label your content as undesired.
Here the ads can offer good results depending on the objectives of the brand. Benefits of advertising on Twitter:
- Promote tweets.
- Maximize reach.
- Participation in tweets.
- Promote account
- Increase the number of followers on Twitter.
- Clicking to open a website.
- Download apps
- App promotion.
Pinterest is about images, so here you can show all the visual stuff you want, and it becomes important. How to advertise on Pinterest?
- Choose a pin / theme: to promote and appear on other profiles in a relevant way.
- Decide who can see it.
- Pay for the results, after choosing the number of visits to a certain site.
- Track what is working, from the beginning of the campaign, and apply changes to what is not working.
- What is Pinterest used for?
- For those companies that depend exclusively on photography. As this network is visual, it will be of great importance to define the personality of the buyers and to know where to reach them visually.
In this network what predominates are videos, and the ads that can be played before or after, no matter the order in which a search is made.
In YouTube there is also the option to target each ad to the interests of a group of people that will come into contact with the ad, as well as demographic information or even based on the types of videos they like to watch.
The most recent of the platforms, but also the most limited, as it does not allow link sharing, nor updates to go to another site (yet). However, it allows advertising and that will be necessary to focus a little more on those customers who can be potentially attractive for your company.
There is no excuse for a company to lag behind the great advances that technology offers. Digital Marketing and Social Media, together and well managed, will allow the capture of new customers and the possibility of making themselves known, generating a reputation within the market / niche to which the company belongs, while positioning itself within the high standards of quality and service.
What strategy do you have in your company?
What is your favorite social network?
Which one doesn’t work very well?
Have you designed your strategy for next month?
Have you already designed your strategy for next year?
Do you want a free diagnostic?